From Milliken Mills To Minnesota...

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Heard 'Em Say

my brother says the best thing about south africa is that the slang never changes. although this mihgt be true, the south african way of words is classical. some examples.

if someone tells a story about their past and refers to "being on holiday", and this "holiday" was fpr a period longer than what you would consider a holiday, say like 5 years, this really means they were in prison.

to give someone a good hiding is to give someone a hellava beating.

my bru - my brother, but used after nearly every sentence in cape town, by a capetonian when talking to another capetonian. for example:
capetonian #1: howzit my bru? did you watch the the france-italy game?
capetonian #2: yah my bru. did you see zidane slanag the owen my bru?
capetonian #1: yas sis my bru, the owen deserved it my bru

vie to the garage is to go to the gas station.

slaang the oak/owen is to knock/beat the guy

yas sis - is like saying oh wow, oh really

do you smaack her? - do you like her

cherry - girl (i remember this one from when i was 8)

quai - cool (i also remember this one from when i was 8)

yoh - wow
lekker - great. everything can be lekker. you have to be here, to realize how many ways it could be used though.

something is hectic - south africans love to say this, but it could be good or bad. for example, that constitutional law exam was hectic (bad), or, did you see the kanye west concert in jo
burg, it was hectic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home